Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Byron Nelson - quick on the quip

I had the privilege to caddie for Byron Nelson in an ABC golf outing at Barrington Hills Country Club in 1968.  Lord Byron was a wonderful man, soft-spoken, self-effasive, thoughtful, courteous.  He even asked me what my best round of golf was at the course (it was 74 ... never shot near it again, except when Stu Phannsteihl and I played alternate shot in the Caddie-Member Club Championship, and we shot 74.  Although I had caddied for Stu when he shot 69, which is pretty damn good shooting for a guy who didn't drive it more than 225.

The format was that Byron Nelson went off with the lead group, and then fell back to the next group after completing each hole. When we got to the 13th tee, Jack Lageshulte, the most lettered high-school athlete in Barrington Consolidated High School's history, hit a rocket of the 366-yard, dog-leg right hole, that went out about 270 and then veer sharply right, following the contour of the hole exactly.

"Great drive," offered Lord Byron.

"Thank you Mr. Nelson. But I have a problem with my golf game."

"What would that be?"

"Every Sunday morning when I step up to the first tee, and bend over to tee up my drive, I get an erection."

Without batting an eye or even taking a split-second to think, Lord Byron answered, "Well son, at my advanced age, I consider myself twice blessed whenever I get an erection. You don't have a golfing problem."

Portents into what the future might hold for one willing to work on his golf game.

Portents indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment